About Young Carers and Young Adult Carers
South Lakeland Carers is a support service for carers aged between 5 and 25 that live in the South Lakeland area.
We support young people who:
- Look after someone in their family that may have a medical, physical, or emotional condition that requires some extra help
- Look after someone who has a drug or alcohol problem
- Look after someone in their family that might need extra support from them
- Help with housework, cooking meals or physical care such as dressing them
- Provide emotional support for someone they look after
We provide young people with one to one support, liaising with teachers, counselling, benefits advice, support groups, trips, residentials and school-based lunch clubs.
We have supported young carers and taken them on trips to the Trafford Centre, Laser Quest, YMCA Lakeside Residential and Windermere Residential, at which young people took part in activities such as kayaking, canoeing, archery, quad biking and other sport and craft activities!
If you live in the South Lakeland area, and think you may be or know of someone who may be, a young carer, then please visit the contact us page and get in touch!
Young Carer Support Worker
Originally from the north east, I moved to Cumbria in 1996 and began my career in social care near Ambleside.
I joined South Lakeland Carers as a Young Carer Support Worker in November 2015 and my role is to identify, assess and support young carers throughout South Cumbria. I have worked in various social work fields including mental health, substance misuse, learning disabilities and homelessness over the past 20 years but my real passion is in working with children and young people.
Outside of work I enjoy lots of creative hobbies and I’m a regular volunteer at a local animal rescue centre.