‘South Lakeland Carers enables carers to manage their caring roles to their own satisfaction by providing a quality service of information, support and advocacy’
South Lakeland Carers registered as a charity in 1993. At that time it provided a support group and supported 15 carers. Over the years the organisation developed a range of services to support carers.
- 2001 saw the introduction of a carer’s right to an independent assessment of their needs and the organisation was contracted by Cumbria County Council to provide these assessments.
- 2004 saw the start of a Young Carers project.
- In 2005 a full time Carers Support Worker was employed to liaise with Social Work teams in the area and raise awareness of the needs of carers and their right to an independent assessment.
- 2008 saw the appointment of a Volunteer Development Worker, which has helped to build, maintain and develop a team of volunteers to support our work with carers.
- In 2011 Cumbria NHS funding enabled the appointment of a GP Carers Support Worker liaising with GP Practices in South Lakeland.
- In 2013 Lloyds TSB and Northern Rock provided funding for a Young Adult Carer Support Worker post.
There are now over 1000 carers receiving services.